Thursday, October 9, 2008

Silence is Golden

Yesterday was Paige's first day of "enrichment". What this means is that after her pre-school class she stayed for "lunch bunch" and then had a cooking class where they made mud pie with worms, learned how to use a whisk, read books and did a craft project. She loved it! Anyway, she was gone most of the day and it was just baby Jimmy and I. The house was so quiet and peaceful. Which made me start thinking about silence.

There are times at meals when Paige will just talk and talk and talk and talk. I have actually said to her "will you please just be quiet for 5 seconds, please". I wonder where she gets it from? hmmmm. Any of my friends will tell you that I like to talk, a lot. I enjoy socializing and chit chatting. But boy can this be a bad thing. Sometimes I don't know when to just be quiet, stop talking, keep my opinions to myself. I think it stems a lot from the fact that I cannot handle silent pauses during conversation. I have to fill every gap with words.

So from now on I vow to listen to my own demands to my daughter and just be quiet. Maybe I'll fill the void by blogging more. Maybe in that silence I'll hear the answers to the universe, or maybe I'll just fall asleep, we'll see.

No comments: