Friday, January 21, 2011

I’m A Horrible Person Who Is Addicted to Really Bad T.V.

Lately I find myself watching certain T.V. shows just to see the worst performances any show has to offer. American Idol started this week. I’m not a fan. I only watch the audition parts of the show. I do this not to see the good performances, I want to see the train wrecks! The best is when the person thinks they are really good and when they are told they aren’t good they cry and swear that the judges don’t know anything. It’s my favorite part.
When did this fascination with the worst of talent shows start? It started with the auditions of America’s Got Talent. I came across the show a few season’s ago and was hooked when I saw a guy in a silver pair of shorts and angel wings. He was on stage balancing things on his face in all of his sparkly splendor. The best part is that he came back to audition a second time the next year. You can see him on you tube, Leonid the magnificent. He was so serious, but what made it funny was the outfit and his shock that the judges didn’t like it. Precious.
I’m not the only person fascinated by this, I’m just willing to admit it. If you type in worst of and then the name of any talent show, hundreds of videos come up. You can actually spend hours online just watching the worst auditions. So after watching the first 2 episodes of this season I have to say that I’m bummed that there hasn’t been one stand-out horrible audition, there were bad ones, just not a true memorable train wreck. But, I can continue to hope and watch again next week.

No comments: